A book extra for Not Christmas Without You
This delicious recipe figures into the story...
This is the recipe for the Christmas Rum Cake served at Quinn’s Christmas Open House.
Ingredients for the cake:
- 1 box (about 18 Oz.) Yellow Cake Mix
- 4 whole eggs
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 package (3.5 Oz.) INSTANT Vanilla Pudding Mix
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1/2 cup rum (dark or light is fine)
- Brown sugar (optional)
Ingredients for the glaze:
- 1 & 1/2 stick butter
- 1 & 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 3/4 cups rum
- Preheat oven to 325 F
- Grease and flour a bundt cake pan. Sprinkle nuts over bottom of pan. If desired, sprinkle a couple of tablespoons of brown sugar over the nuts.
- Mix all cake ingredients together.
- Pour batter into pan over nuts. Smooth out ’til the top is even.
- Bake for 1 hour, or a little less if the pan is black. Do not overbake!
- While cake has ten minutes to go, make the glaze: Melt butter in saucepan. Stir in water and sugar. Boil for 4 to 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Turn off flame and pour in rum. Stir to combine and reheat for 30 seconds.
- Remove cake from oven. Immediately drizzle 1/3 of the glaze on the bottom (top) of the cake. Allow to sit for five minutes.
- Invert the cake onto a serving plate. Prick surface a hundred times with a fork (gently, please.) Slowly drizzle remaining rum glaze all over the top of the cake, allowing it to drip down the sides.
- Cool to room temperature before serving to ensure glaze has soaked in. Enjoy!