A book extra for Duty, Desire and the Desert King
This delicious recipe figures into the story...
- 1/2 cup powdered milk
- 2 cups water
- 1 sheet puff pastry
- 1/4 cup mixed nuts (almonds, pistachios, walnuts etc.)
- 1/8 sultanas and or chopped dry apricot
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup fresh whipping cream
- Bake the puff pastry in a hot oven till done.
- When it’s cooled, cut into big pieces and crush in a large bowl.
- Chop the nuts and mix with the puff pastry.
- Add the sultanas and (or) apricots.
- Boil the water and add the powdered milk and sugar to it.
- Pour hot milk over the puff pastry. Let it soak for a few minutes.
- Whip fresh cream and decorate the top.
- Grill in a pre-heated oven for just 30 seconds to brown slightly.
- 1 1/3 cups snipped and pitted dates
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 chopped walnuts
- Grease and lightly flour a 13x9x2 inch baking pan.
- Combine dates and boiling water; cool to room temperature.
- Stir together the flour, baking soda, and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- In a large mixer bowl, beat shortening for about 30 seconds.
- Add sugar and vanilla and beat till fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating 1 minute after each.
- Add dry ingredients and cooled un-drained date mixture, beating after each addition.
- Stir in nuts.
- Spread in pan.
- Bake at 350* for 30 to 35 minutes. If desired, serve with whipped cream.
Mouhalabiye with Pistachios
- 8 cups milk
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 cup rice flour
- 1/4 cup rose water
- 1/4 cup orange blossom water
- 1/2 cup crushed pistachios
- Bring the milk to a boil. Remove from heat.
- Dissolve the rice flour in 1 1/2 cup of cold water, and then add this to the hot milk, stirring continuously with a wooden spoon.
- Place the mixture back on the heat and keep stirring until it begins to thicken.
- Add sugar and keep stirring until the rice looks cooked. (To test, put a small spoon full on a cold plate. If it retains the shape as it cools, it’s cooked.)
- Add rose water and orange blossom water and stir for another 2 minutes.
- Pour into a shallow dish and decorate with crushed pistachios. Serve cold.