A book extra for His Shock Marriage in Greece
This delicious recipe figures into the story...
My favorite breakfast (and dessert!) during my trip to Greece was Greek yogurt topped with honey, or even better, Sour Cherries! Sour Cherries do not taste sour, though. They are very sweet, and very, very delicious and very addictive, too! Top your yogurt or ice cream with a spoonful of Sour Cherries, or even better, just eat straight out of the jar!
- 1 pound sour cherries (they should be 1 pound after you remove the pits)
- 1 pound sugar
- ¼ cup water
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Remove the pits from the cherries, make sure you do this over a bowl so that you save the juices.
- Empty the cherries carefully in a heavy pot, add the sugar and mix carefully.
- Add the water and mix.
- Heat the fruit at medium heat. Once it comes to a boil, you will see foam forming. Remove the foam with a slotted spoon.
- Slowly boil until the juice thickens, about 20 minutes.*
- Add the lemon juice a few minutes before removing from heat.
- Remove from heat and let it cool completely. Store in a jar.
*If you overheat the cherries and the syrup becomes too hard, you can still salvage them by adding about a ½ cup water and reheating.